Friday 29 September 2023

MiniJems in The Netherlands

Back in 2020 I bumped into a genuine barnfind MiniJem in my native Netherlands. This car had been put in storage in 1984 and hadn't moved a wheel since. It was a Mk2, apart from its V5 complete and looking good. The car was offered to me but I didn't buy it, which I regretted immediately afterwards (story with dusty 'as found' pictures here). It went to another Dutch chap, whom I visited half a year later. He told me he would be restoring the car but I understand he sold it on once again, now presumably with the registration (YBH 849J) placed back on the car. I haven't heard from it since, but was send the pictures below just now. It seems only to have been cleaned - a little. Where is it now?

Meanwhile yet another Mk2 MiniJem was found in The Netherlands, now an empty shell with all the glass. This car was rediscovered two years ago now and turned out to be another Jem with British origins that had been laid apart in this country decades ago. I was once again interested but happened to be in the UK at the time and it went to somebody else. I hope this car will be restored also. 

Now, it does make you wonder: how many more MiniJems are there over here? I did find another picture of one published in an old Dutch motoring magazine. The caption read: "Believed to be the only Mini Jem in The Netherlands" but I think it is not one of the two cars mentioned here..! Anyone?


This Mk2 MiniJem stood in a barn in The Netherlands for some 36 years
Picture via Eric van Haren

It was parked there in 1984 and freed from it in 2020 and looked very complete
Picture via Eric van Haren

I understand the missing registration YBH 849J has now been re-applied to the car
Picture via Eric van Haren

This is another Mk2 MiniJem barnfind that resurfaced in The Netherlands a year later
Picture Jeroen Booij archive

And then there's this, dubbed 'Believed to be the only Mini Jem in The Netherlands'...
Picture Jeroen Booij archive

No comments:

Post a Comment