Wednesday 11 October 2023

Tom's Midas is now for sale

It's always good to keep in touch with people and cars and it was a long time I'd heard from Tom Berkouwer, who's Midas Bronze I photographed for the first Maximum Mini book. Tom now decided to sell the car and wrote to me about it: 

"I have owned and restored a number of Minis and bought the Midas at the time as I was interested in something a bit more special - the Midas Bronze - with its fibreglass body but still familiar Mini technology. I bought my 1988 Midas without an engine and not in the best possible condition. However, this meant that I could decide myself which A-series engine/gearbox I wanted to use. The wiring it came with was not in the best condition either, so I replaced that with the loom from a late Vandenplas Metro. I first stripped the bodywork and had it professionally treated (locally 'thickened' and strengthened), adding some additional layers and spraying it in the original burgundy colour."

"The engine/gearbox and cylinder head from another late Metro were fitted. It also comes with new interior upholstery (front and rear carpets), all copied from the original upholstery. The photos do show the condition the car is in now."
When you are interested in Tom's Midas or want to read more about its specification - you can find the ad here. Let's hope to see it return to the road soon.


A feature car in Maximum Mini - Tom's Midas is now offered for sale
Picture Jeroen Booij archive

A lot of work has gone into the body, which has been strengthened at several places
Picture courtesy Tom Berkouwer 

1275 A-series engine originates from a Metro. Wiring from a Vanden Plas
Picture courtesy Tom Berkouwer 

Repainted in its original burgundy, and I do remember it was a nice paint job
Picture courtesy Tom Berkouwer 

Carpeting is all new and was made with the original as a template
Picture courtesy Tom Berkouwer 

Bucket seats are there, as are the right seat belts
Picture courtesy Tom Berkouwer 

MG Metro owners will be familiar with this dashboard - with the rev counter
Picture courtesy Tom Berkouwer

Stainless steel exhaust just needs fitment now
Picture courtesy Tom Berkouwer 

13" Revolution wheels, shod with Bridgestone tyres have never been on the road
Picture courtesy Tom Berkouwer 

Easy project? All of the parts to get it back on the road are there
Picture courtesy Tom Berkouwer 

3 comments: