Friday 3 November 2023

Steve owned that Broadspeed

Two years ago a Broadspeed GT changed owners and eventually found its way to the USA (click here). The car turned out to be 'WUX 421', which had previously been owned by Graham West of Burton-on-Trent. West had was actually also the man to build it after he got hold of an unused Broadspeed GT roof/rear section in 1971 and decided to graft it on a Mk2 Mini with flared arches and E-type inspired interior (click here). 

Now, another previous owner of the same car contacted me: Steve Philpott. He wrote: Hi Jeroen, I was interested to see your blog regarding the new found Broadspeed that is on its way to the USA. I was a previous owner and would be interested in any information on her refurbishment. I have to say she didn't look like that when she left me, she was metallic maroon with Minilite mag alloy wheels. Any information would be good Kind regards, Steve"

I asked for a bit more info and he came back swiftly: "I owned WUX 421 from 1975 to 1982-ish. It was in a dull red colour when I bought it and I had it resprayed in metallic maroon. It had racing seats, and the Jaguar dashboard. It was sold as a complete car but the engine was blown. I would love to see photos of WUX and could probably say what stage she was at. I would suspect that she may have been stripped down and the various parts used for other projects. I don't have any pictures of her at all, which is a shame."

Well, I had some, and shared them with Steve and have added them below, too. Next reply: "Thanks for the photos. That is indeed WUX 421 as I sold her, apart from the Castrol sticker. There was a lot of work done and a few things missing or replaced. There looks to be something not right with the front end light cluster and headlight mounting. As regards the paperwork... Hmm... There's a story there..."

It was only then that I noticed this car has extra bars in its front side windows, a feature I haven't seen on any other of the Broadspeeds. Steve: "I agree it has the same doors. It has had extensive bodywork done. It was registered on the official logbook as a Mini Monza when my ex-wife bought it and she blew the original engine up. She sold it to me and I put a bored out 998 engine in it. I wonder if it had a new front end? When Graham had it, it had a Mk2 Mini front end. In Jeff's photos it looks like it's a Mk1. Also there were yellow side lights and reflectors front and back. I read somewhere about electric windows... Not on WUX 421. I have been trying to find Peter Pentz, but not having any luck."

Thank you Steve! Maybe Peter will read this and drop another line..?


The Broadspeed GT as Steve Philpott remembers it. This is in the 1980s
Picture Colin Baines

"It was in a dull red colour when I bought it and I had it resprayed in metallic maroon"
Picture Colin Baines

This is the car in 1996 when it was stripped and offered for sale again. Note extra bar in windows
Picture Jeroen Booij archive

And this is it in 1971 when Graham West had just finished it. It was red then
Picture Jeroen Booij archive

Last time seen: two years ago, when it was in transit from the UK to the USA
Picture Kingstown Shipping Ltd

No comments:

Post a Comment