Thursday 11 August 2022

Roamer in Germany

The Roamer, which was also known briefly under the names Arividerci Winchester and Moon's Moke remains a bit of a mystery. I have asked for more information about the cars before (here), but don't seem to get any further. 

One of the Roamers has been in Germany for quite some time now and I receive a message about it every now and then. Daniel Schultheimm wrote two years ago: "Hi Jeroen, I was looking for some information about the Roamer, a Metro based kit car, and found an article from you on Maximum Mini about these cars and there is a picture of one which seems to be the same as the one a friend of me bought last week and now we are looking for some history of it. It was stored for about 15 years in a shed in Germany."

More recently I received another message about it from its current owner. He wrote: "Hello Jeroen, I bought a strange car based on Mini-Metro called 'Roamer'. Yesterday I started the restoration. I tried to fill the hydrolastic system and fortunately I was successful. Today I will take out the engine. Kind regards, Turhan." 

I understand that previous owners have had troubles trying to register it, although I did find a picture of the car on German plates also. Let's hope this Roamer will get on the road at one point, meanwhile all information about thee vehicles is still very welcome.


Turhan's Roamer is undergoing a restoration in Germany but it remains a bit of a mystery
Picture Turhan

Engine will be out by this time, but it's the registration which causes trouble
Picture Turhan

Earlier picture if the same car 'It was stored for about 15 years in a shed in Germany'
Picture Daniel Schultheimm

I also received this picture of the car. That's surely a German plate. Maybe a temporary one?
Picture Jeroen Booij archive

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeroen - yes, it's a temporary registration plate. You see it's from 2014.... Until a few years ago, you could get these for any vehicle, also from abroad or without German "TÜV". Sadly, nowadays this is no longer possible.

    The car has never been registered in Germany, and it will be almost impossible to do so without having either an "official" technical specifications sheet or paying a HUGE (!) amount of money for a VERY intensive individual technical check at TÜV ("Einzelabnahme").

    Very sad. But Turi didn't like to hear this when I told him. If it wasn't like this, I would have been interested in the Roamer myself.....

    ReplyDelete