Tuesday 8 February 2022

The lost Micron GT Mk2 - pictures found!

After a long search the Micron GT was finally found in March 2020 (click here). But the search for the car's creator Brian Bray continued. First there were some stories from the boy next door, who was 11 when Bray, his neighbour built it (here), followed by the man himself in October this year (here). The only thing missing now was more information about the rumoured Micron GT Mk2. Brian Bray's son Matthew told me the following: "Yes, there was a Mk2 which I did see and it was a much better looking car with opening doors. But it was never finished and sold incomplete so not sure about that one or whether it was ever completed?"

Imagine my surprise when Matthew came back more recently with the following: "Morning Jeroen. Whilst looking for something else I came across these photographs of the Micron Mk2. I thought you would be interested to see them? I think it would have been a good looking car completed. Whether or not it still exists somewhere - I have no idea. I would be very interested to hear if it turned up somewhere. Best wishes, Matthew."

You bet I liked that! The car is indeed very different from the GT Mk1 and I must say it did look good. Although these pictures are worn, the car's chassis and body construction are well visible as is the Mini powertrain, placed directly into the chassis frame. Interestingly, the shape of the car's body does remind me of another low-volume car of the mid-1970s called the Strada 4/88. That was built in a number of three in Suffolk, but it used Ford power. I showed a picture to Matthew, who replied: "Wow! Uncanny resemblance."

Wouldn't it be fantastic to find this car back, too..?


The mysterious Micron GT Mk2 - proof of its existence is here now!
Picture courtesy Matthew Bray

The car was never finished since the project was sold to finance an aeroplane build
Picture courtesy Matthew Bray

Fibreglass monocoque bodyshell hides part of the steel tubing of the chassis
Picture courtesy Matthew Bray

But the full chassis is visible here, as there is no doubt that the car was Mini powered
Picture courtesy Matthew Bray

Similar body styling: the Strada 4/88 of 1974. "Uncanny resemblance", said Matthew
Picture Jeroen Booij archive

No comments:

Post a Comment