Friday 7 August 2020

Building a Jimini back in 1977

It is many years ago when I was looking for a suitable Jimini of the first generation to photograph for my book Maximum Mini 2 and when I got in touch with Jim Meikle. Jim had built an early Jimini back in the 1970s but unfortunately he'd just sold the car when I contacted him. He did have some lovely pictures of the car's built though and sent these over. I thought it was about time to show these here after I came across Jim's old car recently as it was offered for sale once more (see the ad here - the car is hard to recognize though!). 

At the time Jim wrote to me: "These pictures were taken when I took delivery of the JiMiNi in April 1977, and when it was complete and road legal in July 1977. The last one was taken last year, after I bought my replacement - The Quantum H4 - which was the main reason that I sold the JiMiNi (Sob-Sob). Incidentally, the attached photo of my JiMiNi, being driven into a van, was taken when we 
moved home from the south of England, to Scotland, in 1983. I do have many more photos, taken over the 30 odd years of ownership, some in the original orange, and the newer blue colour."

That's how the customer received his painted shell from Jimini, ready to be built
Picture Jeroen Booij archive / Jim Meikle
All you needed now was a suitable Mini to rob of its mechanicals. Jim had just that
Picture Jeroen Booij archive / Jim Meikle

Et voila! A brand new Jimini, recycling the Mini's driving gear and its registration
Picture Jim Meikle / Jeroen Booij archive

And ready to be enjoyed by the whole family. This car surely looks to hav been loved
Picture Jim Meikle / Jeroen Booij archive

It went with the family when they moved from England to Scotland back in 1983
Picture Jim Meikle / Jeroen Booij archive
Jim sold the Jimini in 2013 to make place for a Quantum. The Jimini has come up for sale again now
Picture Jim Meikle / Jeroen Booij archive

2 comments:

  1. I have a rare early 78 metal jimini same as Jim’s have had it for 23 years it has been off road for some time but will have it back on road by June this year and will give you some photos it is in for respray at present it had a 1275 cooper engine in but if you have a moke you will know that it is extremely uncomfortable with wind over 60 so no point having a 85-90 one . The cooper gearbox gave up so I have put in a 1983 mini city 1000cc engine and gearbox with low mileage more suitable for pottering around town and country live by the sea so it will look ok on the sands and along beach as it is being resprayed original yellow colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds very good, thank you for letting me know. I'd love to see some pictures of your car once it is finished.

      Delete