Tuesday 5 May 2020

Mini Jem found in The Netherlands

Last January I was contacted by a fellow (big) Marcos-owner in The Netherlands who wrote: "Hi Jeroen. I was offered a Mini Jem recently but turned down the offer because I have enough to deal with my own Marcos. Do you know anyone who might be interested? I don't know what kind of engine it comes with, but the car was put off the road many years ago, as happens so often."

Surely I was interested but it took a long time before I could actually see the car. Last weekend it happened though and the car turned out to be a Mk2 in a complete and original condition. With a March 1984 tax disc it was last on the road that year and I think it may well have been in the barn since that time. The DVLA confirms it was last taxed in 1984 also but unfortunately the registration papers for 'YBH 849J' have gone lost. I was interested in the car never the less but did not dare buying it with the difficulties of re-registering it and also my own project car taking so much of me! A missed opportunity..?

This British registered Mk2 Mini Jem has been off the road since 1984 
Picture Jeroen Booij

It's in a pitch dark barn, probably since that time - flash needed to make viewable photographs
Picture Jeroen Booij

The car will be removed later this week and see the light of day for the first time in decades
Picture Jeroen Booij

Originally painted yellow, which can still be seen at some places, and also turquoise at one stage
Picture Jeroen Booij

According to DVLA it used a 997 engine at one stage but now there's an Innocenti 1275 fitted
Picture Jeroen Booij

Correct RS - Robin Statham - M2 1125 chassis number - it's all complete too
Picture Jeroen Booij

All four arches are widened, a bit of a pity I think. Mamba alloys with tyres still fully inflated
Picture Jeroen Booij

Low rectangular rear lights with added reversing lights. Rear window has fallen in but is there
Picture Jeroen Booij

The interior is complete, too. I think these are Sprinzel Rallye 5 seats inside
Picture Jeroen Booij

The lovely Jem dashboard is still mostly intact with Smiths gauges and added switches
Picture Jeroen Booij

No comments:

Post a Comment