Tuesday 21 July 2020

Mystery Mini Derivative (67)

This is a Mystery Mini Derivative from South-Africa that's been seen here before (click here). I'm sure there are people out here who will know it and who will be able to tell more about it. However, since I've posted about the car last time back in 2011, I thought it was about time to give it another go.

There is a little bit of extra information since Ryno Verster wrote: “I first saw it on pictures taken at the Mini’s 30th birthday in August 1989. The car was on a trailer at the event and the text in the Mini Owners’ Club scrapbook mentioned that it was manufactured by The Mini Man in Benoni. I believe the owner/builder has since left the country but the car has stayed here.” I haven't been able to find out more about this Benoni based garage but somebody else will know?

I am also thinking its base may have been inspired by or based on a Cox or Heerey GTM or even a Jackson Sportster as made by Jeff Jackson in South Africa in the late 1970s. So here we go again: who knows more?

UPDATE 23 July 2020: There is no link to the Jackson Sportster, as confirmed by Jeff Jackson himself: "Hi Jeroen, Great to hear from you and I am happy to hear that you are still pursueing your interest in mini derivatives. No, I do not know anything about that car this is the first time that I have heard about it. Sorry that I cannot be of more assistance. I will cc some of my old friends in SA and if I get any leads will forward them on to you. It looks great, nice design. Recently I was showing my grandchildren the article in your book about our Jackson Sportster and they loved the book. Thanks again for including the car. Best Regards, Jeff Jackson."

As spotted in Johannesburgh in 1989. Sporty Mini based car is said to hail from Benoni
Picture Ryno Verster

 Note smooth body and large windscreen. Who knows more about South-African mystery car?
Picture Ryno Verster

Seen here later in 2004 and now with bumpers, registration and Ferrari badging...
Picture Ryno Verster

No comments:

Post a Comment