Monday 7 January 2013

Mystery Maya GT wins 'Best Find'

Congratulation to Josh Willis, who won the 'Best Find of 2012' poll on this blog with his discovery of the Maya GT in Kent last March. Of the 80 votes, no less then 43% went to the quirky kit car, plenty to win the title as the number 2 ('the farm yard Mini Marcos') got 21% of the votes and the number 3 ('the German Deep Sanderson') 20%. One of the voters commented: "For true believers, the ancient Maya calendar is a prime source for the prophecy that something very big is going to happen this year, 2012. Perhaps even the end of the world, or the Find of the year 2012! This may be no coincidence ;-)." I quite liked that.

Anyway: I asked Josh how the project was going, and this is what he said: "I now have the logbook in my name and it will be retaining its original registration. Unfortunately I haven't started restoring it yet as I still have several other big projects on the go. It is currently under a tarpaulin waiting it's turn. I have had a quick look over it. The main thing is the box section chassis frame appears to be very rotten (not surprising for standing in a field for over 20 years!). It looks like a fairly simple box section frame that shouldn't be too hard to make a new one with the old one for reference. My other concern is the windscreen which is glass & is cracked. I'm guessing that finding a replacement is going to be quite difficult. Would you know if it the same as any other car screen?" As a matter of fact I don't, but I'm guessing one of my readers will be able to help..

The Maya GT as it was found in Ashford. It supposedly stood outside for 20+ years
Picture courtesy Josh Willis
Open windows and a cracked rear screen do not help to keep the elements out... 
Picture courtesy Josh Willis
This car could be the last of the unmodified Maya GTs with it's original nose section in place
Picture courtesy Josh Willis

No comments:

Post a Comment