Tuesday 2 July 2019

Mobi-One found in a barn

Stop Press!
Mobi-One has turned up in a barn in Heathfield, UK and is for sale. The ad reads:
'The world's most manoeuvrable competition car MOBI ONE. Condition is acceptable. As used by Morris Bishop to win the British Trial and Rally Driver's Association championship 2 years running. This car is capable of a 40mph opposed steering turn within a 10 ft diameter turning cycle. Mini Cooper engine.'

It seems to wear a tax disc of 1984, so hasn't probably seen the streets since 35 years. I'm sure Morris will be delighted to see it survives. See the ad here, where eagle eyed readers will spot another gem in the background. More to follow. More on Mobi-One, including film footage and an interview with Morris Bishop here.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeroen,
    Wow , that is a surprise. Just to update you with what I believe the four wheel steering attribute was the last time I was involved with MoBi, which was when the previous owner had it - he had replaced one of the twin steering racks on the compound front system, but he had not realised that it was a left hand drive rack and he had used a right hand drive. So when I reassembled this onto MoBi Its steering became Crab not complementary which made the car useless! This was just 5 days before I was due to compete in the BT&RDA Golden Jubilee celebrations in 1988. I went up there anyway, only to find that there was three 4 wheel steering cars competing and one of these drivers ask me to drive his car. however being unfamiliar with the car I came in second.
    I am just coming up to my 89th birthday so it is not now of any interest in acquiring MoBi One, but I will spread the word of its existence.
    Warm regards, Morris

    ReplyDelete