Tuesday 25 May 2021

Nimbus Coupe prototype freed from the brambles

Report from the bramble bushes in Somerset. Remember this find of a Nimbus Coupe formerly a prototype car and later raced by Gary Shillabeer? Well, it has finally been freed from the brambles by Simon Denman. He wrote: "Hi Jeroen. I can tell you my late father was best mates with Gary Shillabeer and that’s who he got it from.  I honestly can’t remember much about when dad got it from Gary, but I seem to remember some tension between my mum and dad when he bought it - hence why it was probably left in the orchard with the initial plan of waiting til mum calmed down!"

"Sadly Gary recently died too so I can’t ask him. I’m trying to find the other open top kit car which might be in brambles too which must have come from Gary at about the same time. I’m pretty sure I know where the front clam is - as for the main middle but I’m not sure my memory is it was bought from Gary at the same time and I think the main tub was green and the front clam was primer grey, it might of had scalloped sides but I haven’t seen it since I was a kid. We are clearing up the farm and are selling it all, so the Nimbus will be up for sale. I have also got a lot of other bits including a series bits - none of which I believe came from the Nimbus though. It would appear there is much of a Mini in pieces in one of the sheds! Including a complete 850 lump and Mk1 boot lid etc! I will be in touch with photos of what I can find of the other one. If you know anyone interested in the Nimbus feel free to point them my way before I stick it on eBay. Speak soon, Simon."

It sounds as if the open car could be that other Ian Shearer design - the Boxer Sprint. But then Ian told me years ago there was just one made (this one), so it has to be something else..? We'll see when Simon finds it, I reckon. In the meantime, let me know if you are interested in the Nimbus Coupe and I'll get you in touch with Simon.


That's the Nimbus Coupe prototype as it was raced by Gary Shillabeer in the mid-1980s
Picture Simon Denman

But Q304 NYA was also the car used at the Nimbus Coupe's press launch back in 1984
Picture Simon Denman

Shortly after the launch it must have been bought by Shillabeer and transformed into this
Picture Simon Denman

Shillabeer campaigned it briefly before it disappeared only to turn up last year
Picture Simon Denman

The car will need lots of work, interior seems to have been stripped also 
Picture Simon Denman

Last on the road in 1986 means it has been on the road (and track) for two years only
Picture Simon Denman

There used to be an engine built by Avonbar Racing fitted, but the engine bay is empty now
Picture Simon Denman

The car in its heyday, raced in 1984 at Cadwell Park with Shillabeer behind the wheel
Picture Jeroen Booij archive

While earlier that year it was used at the press launch in East-Sussex, seen here
Picture Jeroen Booij archive

No comments:

Post a Comment