Wednesday 28 September 2022

Morris Bishop dies at 92

It's with great regret that I just heard of the passing of Morris Bishop on last Thursday, the 22nd of September, at the age of 92. Morris was the man behind MoBi-One - the Mini based car that proved to be virtually unbeatable in autotesting in the late 1960s due to its clever design with four-wheel steering.

Alastair Moffatt, who owns MoBi-One and is a multiple autotest champion himself, made me aware of Bishop's death. Morris lived both in the UK as in Spain, but was in England on Thursday, or so Alastair told me: "He went out for a walk with his wife and on return home sat down and fell asleep in front of the tv not to wake. Morris' son added: "He and mum had been out for a walk, and he had just settled down to watch telly, air high-fived mum (as they did) and died. Not a bad way to go."

Moffatt rediscovered MoBi-One some two-and-a-half years ago (click here) and reunited the car just in time with its creator last summer (click here). The car was based around the chassis' of a burnt-out BMC 1100 and built with the Flather Star championship in mind. Bishop told me: “The first few events were mainly to discover how to drive the beast. It quickly became clear that I was suffering from a lack of power, so I wrote Alec Issigonis at Longbridge to see if he had a spare Cooper ‘S’ engine laying around. And to my surprise and delight he organized one to be sent to me via their development facility Downton works! I converted this to run on propane, mainly because I was a manufacturer of gas calibration equipment, and it was a winner. I achieved a back-to-back win of the championships of 1969 & 1970. In 1975 I sold the vehicle to someone who used it for autocross.” I wish all the best to Bishop's family and friends with the loss of Morris.


Morris Bishop in MoBi-One in 1968. The car proved to be virtually unbeatable
Picture Jeroen Booij archive

A letter from Alec Issigonis, happy to supply Bishop with a special tuned engine
Picture Jeroen Booij archive

Repainted in yellow and with Downton-engine running on propane, MoBi-One was even faster 
Picture Jeroen Booij archive 

Autotest champion Alastair Moffatt (left) reunited MoBi-One with its creator last Summer
Picture courtesy Alastair Moffatt

A picture taken at Morris' 90th birthday party in Spain, August 2020, his wife Dizzy on his side
Picture Jeroen Booij archive

Morris' cup cabinet, all the silverware was won with his MoBi-One!
Picture Morris Bishop

No comments:

Post a Comment